Friday, September 22, 2006

My new Totoro Shirt!

My friend, Andrew, and I have a lovely tradition of taking each other out for lunch on our birthdays.

His birthday was last Friday, so we had a belated lunch celebration today.

He suggested that we leave our neighborhood, and venture out to Japan Town for lunch! What a wonderful idea. We found a terrific restaurant in the mall where we had Tempera and Odon Soup. Yum!

After lunch, we ventured into the mall, where he took me to his favorite Japanese Character stores. Andrew and I both love the Totoro Character from My Neighbor Totoro. A friend of mine had first introduced me to the movie way back in 1988 or so. He had just returned from his 2-year mission in Japan. He and I were both huge animation fans, and he thought I'd really love the movie. I remember that I did love the movie, but I especially loved the characters. I honestly haven't watched the movie in years, although I should see it again to refresh my memory.

Anyhow, I was always enchanted with the Totoro characters - they're so cute, plump and slightly mysterious. Plus, secretly, they kind of remind me of our big cat, Marcel. (don't tell him that)

That's why I just *had* to buy this t-shirt when I saw it today. SO cute.

No comments: