Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Armistead Maupin's book signing in Seattle

This is a Facebook status that I posted this morning:
Finished reading "The Days of Anna Madrigal", just in time to see Armistead Maupin at his book signing in Seattle tonight. What a beautiful read it was. Without giving away any spoilers, I was reading it while working out on the treadmill this morning, and nearly pulled a George Jetson when a particularly dramatic moment came from out of nowhere in the final chapters of the book. Thank you, as always, Armistead Maupin, for introducing us to so many wonderful and beautiful characters and friends, and for allowing us to follow them through many decades. I will miss them.

Lucky me - not only did Armistead Maupin's last book of the "Tales of the City" series come out last week, but my new city, Seattle, was on his short list of book signing events in the US.

This evening, Dick and I drove to Seattle, had a quick dinner at Chipotle, then arrived 1 hour, fifteen minutes early for tonight's 7:00pm event at The Elliott Bay Book Company. I knew it would be a popular event, and I wanted to make sure we got good seats. Sure enough, we arrived about 30 minutes before they event set up the seats, but once they did, I snagged two seats in the front row.

(I realize that I sound like quite the groupie right now, and I guess I can't deny it. There are really only two people in this world that I am a groupie for: Armistead Maupin and Billie Joe Armstrong. Go figure.)

It's a good thing that we arrived as early as we did. By 6:30, it was already standing room only, and quite a packed house. It was as full as any San Francisco event I've seen Armistead at.

Armistead was an absolute delight to listen to, as usual. He spoke for a bit, read the first chapter of the new book, then did Q & A for a good 1/2 hour. He's such a wonderful story teller. He enraptures the entire audience, and makes everyone feel like he is talking directly to you individually. Such a gift.

I've mentioned on my blog here before that Armistead and I have become friends over the years. (and no, not just Facebook friends.) The backstory is very special: Dick's Father was Armistead's Junior High School English Teacher in North Carolina in the 50s. Dick's Father, Richard, remembers him as a star pupil, and followed his career as an adult. When I first met Richard, we formed an immediate bond over our love of "Tales of the City". Several years ago, I met Armistead for the first time at a book signing, introduced myself, and told him about my Father-in-Law. The next time I met him (at the release of "Michael Tolliver Lives"), I reintroduced myself, and passed along a note from my Father-in-Law. Soon after, when Dick's Father and Sister were in town visiting, we had Armistead and his husband, Chris, over to our house for drinks and dinner. It was so amazing to witness that reunion of two people who had not seen each other in over 50 years.

After that evening, Dick and I would frequently run into Armistead and Chris in the neighborhood - whether it be on Castro Street, at the Grocery Store, or at the local dog park. We also had an amazing evening together at Andrew & Barry's house - that was a great and memorable night.

I was sad when Armistead and Chris moved from San Francisco to Santa Fe a couple of years ago. It certainly signified an end of an era to myself, and I'm sure many San Franciscans.

I was so bummed that I would be missing Armistead's appearances in San Francisco for the release of his newest book. but was THRILLED to see that he was also stopping in Seattle. I've had this date on my calendar for several months now, and I'm so glad we were able to see him tonight.

We had a nice time catching up, as he signed my books tonight. There was a long line behind us, but I appreciate that we had a chance to reconnect and see each other in this new City.

Best wishes to you, Armistead, on your many travels this year. Thank you again for sharing your talents with all of us, and hope to see you again soon. xo


finally got my hard copy edition of "The Days of Anna Madrigal"








This picture makes me happy. :)

No comments: