Thursday, March 29, 2012

Mole Hole?


Mole Holes?


A close up of the tunnel

I looked out onto my backyard this morning and saw a dark spot smack in the middle of my lawn. It looked like something had dug my lawn up a bit. I was looking out from the balcony of our house, and am able to see my neighbor's yards up there, too. I noticed that each of their yards had 2 or more of these dirt piles. I realized that some animal had a field day (literally) in at least 3 backyards last night!

I just went out to inspect closer. Initially, I thought that perhaps a raccoon had merely dug a hole in the yard, looking for food or something.

Upon closer inspection, I realized it was actually a tunnel burrowed into the ground! I think it went in one side, and out the other? Or, perhaps they are two separate tunnels?

I'm having flashbacks to those Looney Tunes cartoons with the two gophers. You know, the ones who were always so polite to each other. ("You first, my dear," or "But, no, no, no. It must be you who goes first!") I just looked the two gofers up on wikipedia - turns out their names are Mac and Tosh! Who knew?!


The Culprets?

So, what do you think? Moles? Gophers?

I've never had this happen before. Any tips? I'd prefer not to have a bunch of tunnels/holes in my lawn. :)

No comments: