Saturday, March 31, 2012

I won a contest for an autographed book!

Kirkland is my middle name!



Okay, so I think this is pretty hilarious:

A package was delivered today. I hadn't ordered anything in a while, so I wasn't expecting anything.

The return address was from: Costco Connection.

...and then I realized what it may be...

A couple of months ago, as I was reading my monthly edition of The Costco Connection (Yes, Costco has their very own magazine, and it's pretty good!) I read an article about a booked titled, "A Discovery of Witches". The description of the book and an interview with the author were intriguing. On top of that, I remembered another article that I had read about the same book in Entertainment Weekly. That article paired television shows with books. This one said, "If you like "Being Human", try reading "A Discover of Witches".

So, here I had two magazines each with articles about this book that I found interesting. It was surely worth a shot, so I bought it and downloaded it on my Kindle.

In the same Costco Connection there was a contest for a book drawing. The drawing was for an autographed copy of "A Discovery of Witches". I hadn't even read the book yet, but I figured, "Well, why not?" and submitted my online entry. I think it was the first time I ever entered any Costco online contests.

So, yes. Today's package was the book, an autograph (on a sticker, which I guess I'll stick inside the cover" and a letter reading:

Dear Connection Reader,

On behalf of the staff at The Costco Connection, I would like to thank you for your participation in our book drawing.

Congratulations on winning a copy of last month's book! We hope that you enjoy the book and will continue to look for other contests featured in The Costco Connection.


So, there you go! It's always a little exciting to learn that you've won a contest!

I find it especially funny because when I was growing up, especially in my teen years, I won many contests (radio contests, contests at school, big drawings at work, BINGO, etc.). My parents used to say that they would bring me to Reno when I turned 21. (which they did!) :)

Perhaps I should have bought a lottery ticket last night. ;)

In case you're wondering, I did end up reading the book a couple of months ago, and really enjoyed it! If you like fantasy books, and characters who are witches, vampires and daemons interest you, then this book is for you!

Thanks, Costco! You know I'm always a fan!!

1 comment:

Lucy Martin said...

Wow....!!!! It's an exceptional prize. Like you I'd a hobby to collect autograph of various famous person like- cricketers, Footballers, singer, musician etc. Still now I'm continuing this hobby. I'll share it to your if I get any opportunity. Thanks for this exceptional post.