Saturday, January 13, 2007

MacWorld Milestones

We had a lot of fun at MacWorld yesterday. However, for the first time in recent memory, I didn't buy anything.

I spent part of the time walking around the floor with Omar and Sarah, then after they had to leave, I hooked up with my Mom and Dad. This was my Dad's first MacWorld, and he was quite the trooper! Omar actually commented to me how cool my parents were for attending MacWorld. I told him that my Mom is really into tech-gadgets, and that my Dad was just being a great sport and wanted to see what all the hub-bub was about.

I also told Omar that my super-cool Mom actually took us out of school for the day so we could all attend the first MacWorld in January, 1985. Now, that's a cool Mom! This reminded me a few other MacWorld milestones in my life:

  • MacWorld 1985
    This is when it all began. My parents bought one of the original 128K Macs in 1984 (after much pleading on my part). My Mom took my sister and I out of school for the day so we could attend the convention.

  • MacWorld (NYC) 1998
    The meeting that would go down in history: It's the NYC MacWorld where Dick met Omar for the first time, and offered him an internship (and later a job).

  • MacWorld 1999
    This was the year that Apple released the colored iMacs for the first time. They were also into their very cool "Think Different" campaign. Dick and I had just started to date at the end of December 1998. During the first week of January, he walked into the art gallery where I worked, and invited me to come to the Apple party with him that night. Now, I don't know if all girls would feel this way, but for me, that was one of the coolest dates ever!.

    That same year, I introduced Dick to my sister, Tiffini. He looked at the two of us, and asked, "Which one is which?"


  • MacWorld 2000
    I introduce my Mom to my new friend, Omar, who is working at the Microsoft booth. Omar later tells me that I have a very cool Mom. ;)


  • MacWorld 2004
    After finally upgrading to a new PowerBook, and having just received a iPod for Xmas, I was, for once, not completely out-of-date with all of the Mac Products. I bought a lot of goodies this year, including my favorite "Mac Chic" t-shirt.

  • MacWorld 2007
    Yesterday was my Dad's first time to MacWorld, and also Omar's baby's first! (she's only 8 weeks old!) It as a whole different experience this year, but I really enjoyed it.


It's really pretty amazing to think about how much MacWorld has changed over the years. Back in the day, it really was "Mac World" - all things Macintosh. Software, hardware, new color monitors (I remember how very cool that was), and the place you went to find good deals on all of these. These days, it's just a little bit "Mac Oriented" with a whole lot more gear oriented towards the iPod, and consumer electronics, in general. My Dad and I were walking around the floor, and every third booth or so, we'd joke, "Look! iPod skins! What a novel idea!" (seriously, every third booth or so was some sort of iPod cover/skin)

Omar had a nice write-up of some of the new goodies that we looked at.

As for me, although I didn't buy anything, I did come home with a couple of fun freebies: A Case-Mate iPod Shuffle case (which has inspired me to buy a new Shuffle) and a very funny little plush dog from Fetch (still my FTP program of choice).


Baby's first MacWorld

No comments: