Thursday, May 05, 2016

Our 21,000 step day around London!

Wow, what a day!
We walked over 21,000 steps, and somewhere between 8 and 9 miles all around London today!

We started off at King's Cross Station (see the Platform 9-3/4 post) then peeked inside the St Pancras Hotel, which was absolutely stunning. One of the staff members was kind enough to show us the gorgeous staircase (which was apparently used in one of the Harry Potter films) and told us a brief history of the hotel. If memory serves (and I'm too tired to look this us at the moment) it was build around 1840, only open for a few years before it closed, was in danger of being demolished several times, and was finally restored and reopened in 2009!


The outside of the St. Pancras Hotel.


The gorgeous staircase of the St. Pancras Hotel.

We then went to the British Library to the British Treasures Room. I should start off by saying that we've been going to lots of museums, but some of them don't allow photos, and other times, I find myself admiring the art/objects more than wanting to take photos of them.


British Library

After, we walked to the British Museum where Dick showed me the Rosetta Stone. (He had seen it on our last trip here, while I spent the day at the Harry Potter Studio Tour.)

Seeing the Rosetta Stone in person was pretty incredible. We were lucky that it wasn't too crowded, and were able to get a really good look at it.


The British Library


The Rosetta Stone

We walked from there to Covent Gardens where I sought out the Moomin Store! It was super cute and fun. I'm not really knowledgeable about Moomins yet, but my friends, Andrew and Kimi both are. Andrew just lent me one of the books which I plan to read when I return home.


Moomin Store!




Covent Gardens

We went to the National Portrait Gallery, which we both loved. What a fascinating and unique museum! (sorry, no photos!)

We walked through Trafalgar Square, past St Martin-in-the-Fields (which we toured last time we were here), the Australia House (the exterior of this building was used for Gringotts Bank in the Harry Potter films), and the City of London. We ended that long walk at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - one of London's oldest pubs. We had a nice break there.


Trafalgar Square


St Martin-in-the-Fields


Australia House

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese

We finished our day with a nice long walk along the Thames. It was a gorgeous day, and such a picturesque walk!


Blackfriars Bridge


The Thames River


Gateway to the City of London


The London Eye


Big Ben/Parliament

And there you have it. I think we were out for about eight hours.
Again, Dick is being a trooper. His feet are tired, but he's hanging in with all the walking with me. It's the best way to see a city!

No comments: