Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Today's 4-1/2 mile Walk in Milpitas with my Parents

I was in Milpitas visiting with my parents and my Grandma today. This afternoon, I took a somewhat impromptu 4.5 mile walk with my parents!

It initially started with me suggesting that we all take a walk. I was thinking perhaps to the grocery store that's about a mile away. Then my Mom told me about some model homes that are a little further - maybe two miles away, that they walked to yesterday. I thought that would be fun. Then, my Mom suggested that we could wait another hour or so, and we could walk about 2 miles to go to dinner (at our favorite Sushi Restaurant in Milpitas). We thought it was a great idea - a nice walk. yummy food, plus later in the day, so it would be a little cooler.

The neatest part about the walk today was that we took the exact same route that I used to walk when I attended elementary school (grades 5-7). My elementary school is about 1-1/2 miles from our house, and the restaurant is about 1/2 mile further. It was pretty amazing, and very nostalgic for me to walk the same streets that I used to walk daily so many years ago. (35 years ago, if you must know!) There's an overpass that we had to walk up (and down) right before reaching the school. In the memory of my 10 year old self, it was a steep and long overpass. I've driven it many, many times since, but I haven't walked it in over 30 years. Compared to San Francisco hills, it was cake, but thinking back to when I was 10-12 years old, it certainly was pretty big! For three years, I walked, rode my bike, and even roller skated this route. Wild.


Mom and Dad - at the beginning of our walk


walking through a nearby park


at the intersection before the overpass. There used to be a retired crossing guard who used to walk students across this intersection.


on the overpass!


The trees have grown a LOT over the past 35 years. There's my school near the middle of the photo


Curtner Elementary School! The front of the building looks largely the same, but there are so many extra classrooms/buildings on the sides that weren't there back in my day.


Another shot of the front - this part looks nearly identical to what I remember. Curtner Stallions. In my memory I thought we were Mustangs, but I guess not!


after another 1/2 mile, we made it to our dinner destination!

After our yummy dinner, we walked over to the new (to me) Milpitas Libary on Main Street. I hadn't been in before, so my parents gave me the tour. It's a gorgeous and very large building. Very impressive!

We walked home by taking another route. We walked up and over the overpass on Calaveras to Milpitas Blvd, then walked through the Milpitas Town Center and back home. If I had set my Walkmeter GPS, you would have seen that we did a neat circle around Milpitas. :)

It was the longest walk I think I've ever taken in Milpitas, and I enjoyed it immensely. I'm so glad my parents joined me on this walk. It was a really great experience down memory lane. :)

1 comment:

www.christinadudley.com said...

And look at the beautiful weather! Lovely pics--I remember that overpass. Ah, nostalgia...