Saturday, September 13, 2014

Saturday's 10-mile Training Walk


Saturday's 12-mile Route

(I'm a few days late in posting this, but am post-dating to have it in the right place, chronologically, on my blog.)

Saturday was my last training walk in San Francisco before the 2014 Immediate Impact Walk. Although the big event is still 4 weeks away, this was the last chance I'll have to train with my group this season.

I had my cousin's wedding to attend in Cupertino later that afternoon, so I was really lucky with how the schedule worked out. For many people in my group, this is the annual "Back to Back Weekend", which means 20-miles on Saturday, followed by 20-miles on Sunday. Saturday's 20-miles were broken up between two loops of 10-miles each. This was great for me, as I was able to go early, walk the first loop, go home, and still have time to get ready and drive to the wedding. I also had Dick's Birthday festivities to attend on Sunday. Many others in the group did a second loop of 10-miles, then walked from Ft. Mason in San Francisco all the way to Tiburon the next day. I felt a bit like a slacker. ;)

Anyhow, back to Saturday's walk: We met at 6:30 in the Presidio. Former walker, Allison volunteered to provide for the day, which included delicious homemade chocolate chip cookies!


here i am with Carol - starting our walk off with chocolate chip cookies!


Our group for the first 10 miles!

We walked through the Presidio and walked through the grounds of Lucas Arts/ILM. Along the way, we came across several sidewalk chalk art drawings in a row. They were all related to Star Wars/ILM. I assume that they were all done by employees, but I really don't know. Anyhow, they were all great, and I took lots of photos.























We walked through North Beach, which is always so picturesque, especially early in the morning.



Towards the Financial District...



...and eventually had our mid-walk break at the Ferry Building.
(I may or may not have had a chocolate croissant from Acme Bread.)



On the way back, we walked along the Embarcadero, through Fisherman's Wharf, and along Crissy Field. The fog was just beginning to lift by the time we arrived back around 10:30am.






Saturday's stats

No comments: