Monday, September 15, 2014

Progress on the Twin Peaks Tavern painting

I squeezed in another painting session with Dean today before I head back to Seattle. Our flight leaves this afternoon!

I think we made some progress on my latest painting of Twin Peaks Tavern.
Most significant, Dean imported my original photo into iPhoto and bumped up the contrast so that some of the colors that weren't able to be seen in the original would come out more. This was especially helpful in the bottom left corner, which pretty much shows as just dark/black in the original.


The original photo


photo with high contrast

You can see now that there are other colors in there - mostly reds and purples that cast some shadows from the seated figures. I think the new information added a lot more dimension and interest in that part of the painting.


Today's progress - Session 3

I also did a lot of work on the "big picture" - fine tuned the bar figures a bit, added some more rough detail to the bar and especially the shelves behind the bar and mirror. I also worked a bit on all of the different Tiffany lamps hung throughout the bar.

I'm liking how this one is progressing so far. There are a lot more sweeping paint strokes than I usually have, and that's something that I was specifically trying to work on in my style. I like how this painting is looser in style than most of my others.

I'll be back in a few more weeks to work on it some more. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

No comments: