Friday, June 13, 2014

Not how I expected to spend my vacation...

You may be wondering why there weren't any new blog posts over the last couple of days.

Yesterday, I woke up with extreme dizziness- so strong that it woke me up from sleep. Dick and I figured it may be some kind of inner ear infection- he had a similar experience several years ago. I slept most of the morning, and into the afternoon. Dick went to the drug store and got some Bonine (like Dramamine) which put me back to sleep, but the dizziness was gone by the time I woke up.

We were able to keep our 7:30 dinner plans with our friends, Chris and Viv. As we were getting ready, I started to experience some symptoms of urinary tract infection. (You don't need me to go into detail about those, do you?)

I was pretty wiped out again this morning, but no dizziness, so slept through the morning, into the early afternoon. I realized the urinary tract infection issues were still there, so I did a little research online. Turns out that extreme dizziness (and exhaustion) can be a symptom of a urinary tract infection. It also turns out that a urinary tract infection is easily treatable with antibiotics.

Lucky for me, there's a walk-in clinic only three blocks from our hotel. I called, and got their last available appointment of the day. The office and doctor were both great, and terribly efficient.

I was easily and officially diagnosed, and given a prescription that I was able to fill at a Wallgreens half a block away. From the time I was out my hotel room, to the doctor's office, seen and diagnosed, dropped off, and picked up prescription was all done in an hour. Very good experience.

Now I've got some antibiotics, and some over-the-counter probiotics (recommended by Doc) to take for the next few days. I'm already feeling better, and am very glad that we went.

Unfortunately, I slept through 1.5 days of our 4 days in NYC. Fortunately, it didn't keep us from anything we had planned to do here.

We're seeing our last show of the trip (Cabaret) tonight, and fly out tomorrow late afternoon.

No comments: