Saturday, April 02, 2011

First Training Walk of the Year!


Today's 6-mile walk route

Here we go again!!

I had such a wonderful experience last year participating in the Susan G. Koman 3-Day for the cure, and training with the wonderful Warming Hut Hotties that I've decided to do it all again!

We met this morning at 8:30 for the first training walk of the year. We're 23 weeks out from the event, and it's time to start training and preparing ourselves for the event. We walked 6 miles this morning, which didn't sound like very much compared to the 12-20 mile walks that I participated in last August and September, but boy... when it's been a few months since the last training walk, I was reminded that 6 miles is still a lot! We walked for just over 2 hours, which also included a 10-15 minute potty break at mile 3.

It was great seeing and walking with friends from last year as well as meeting a few new people. I think we had around a couple of dozen people. The weather was perfect - cloudy, mid to high 50s - not too cool, not too warm, and no rain. :)

My feet held up pretty well (as far as I can tell so far). I wore my new custom orthotics for the first time today. (I wore them several times since I got them last week, but not for an extended amount of time or length.) I came home, iced my foot, and it all seems good so far.

I haven't yet sent out my fund-raising letter, but I'm going to try to get that done this week. I wanted to wait until I had my first training walk under my belt before sending it out. :)

If you are so inclined to donate before my letter goes out, it would be greatly appreciated. Last year, my sponsors helped me raise $6,240.00! I hope to raise at least $5,000 (or more!) this year. I know that it's generally harder to raise as much money after the first year, but I'm hoping that we'll still raise a substantial amount of money in the fight against breast cancer.

You can donate here:
http://www.the3day.org/goto/trina

Thank you!

Here are some photos from our 6-mile walk today:


Our Fearless Leader, Linda, going over the safety speech before our walk.


Construction underneath Doyle Drive


Approaching the Warming Hut in Crissy Field


Today's walk tracked on my iPhone's Walkmeter App

No comments: