Monday, August 23, 2010

"Holy Raccoon, Batman!"

I know that I've mentioned that we have raccoons in the backyard occasionally. They splash around in our water fountain, and leave their paw prints, I've found claw marks going up and down our fence, and they've even tried to play with our putting green flags.

I once saw a family of raccoons walk through my neighbor's front yard and climb the fence into ours. I believe they were living in our yard at the time. That was before we had our backyard landscaped. We haven't actually seen one in the flesh since then.

Until tonight....

We were eating dessert in our Dining Room which looks out into the yard and the side fence. Dick opened up the window to let the cooler air in and gasped. There, precariously perched on the side fence right by my neighbor's front door stood 5 (count 'em - FIVE) Raccoons!! Yikes!

They just stared at us as we stared at them. It was like a staring contest. I think they were trying to challenge us. Eventually, they backed off and climbed back down the other side of the fence.


The Five Masked Intruders

Wacky. I still think it's so weird to see raccoons in an urban area. I shouldn't be surprised at all, since I knew they were there, but still - kind of different to actually see them.

Originally, this blog post was going to be about the lovely, spontaneous Alfresco Dinner we had this evening with Pete. We grilled kabobs, and ate outside on the new patio furniture. We saw cute, tiny finches fly down to the water fountain, while his other little finch buddy sat nearby on the lantern.

It was all very lovely...

...until the raccoons came! ;)


kabobs on the grill


Cute little birdie #1


Cute little birdie #2

No comments: