Friday, June 18, 2010

Midnight Escapades in the Backyard

...or "Things that happen outside while you're sleeping"

The raccoons are at it again.

I've always known we've had raccoons in our backyard. I'm pretty sure they were living out there before we had our backyard redone last year. Now that it's done, and there's no where for them to burrow and hide, I think they like coming out when it's dark to play around in our yard.

How do I know this?

There are a few pieces of evidence: the most noticeable ones being the huge claw scratches on some parts of our fence, but the dead giveaway are the huge paw prints that are imprinted on the inside of our (shallow) water feature when the algae grows a bit. There's no mistaking in - those huge paw prints came from our (not-so-friendly) neighborhood raccoons.

Their latest recreational sport: they've been pulling the flags out of the putting green holes, and trying to drag them around.

It's pretty hilarious. This only started a few weeks ago. First it was only the back flag, but now they've played with two. There are big teeth marks (holes) in the flags. I think they are trying to drag them off, but I assume the poles are too long and tedious for them.

I'm pretty sure I'll wake up one morning to discover that they've found the golf clubs in the storage shed, and they will have made themselves at home in my Cabana.



The Morning After

And while I'm on the topic of our backyard, spring has spring (finally!) and we've had some really beautiful flowers bloom! I know these won't last more than a few weeks, so I'm enjoying them while I can. :)


Two Birds of Paradise that bloomed over the past two days


Pretty Irises!

No comments: