Monday, August 16, 2010

16-Mile Training Walk


The 16-Mile Training Walk Route!

Wow! Another great training walk with the Warming Hut Hotties!

We did a 16-Mile training walk yesterday, which was GREAT! I'd like to pat myself the shoulder for my own personal accomplishment of making it through yesterday, but the truth is most of the women that I walked with yesterday had also done a 20-mile training walk the day before! WOW! (I didn't know if I was ready for a 20-mile walk yet, so I opted to stick to the 16)

We met at the Warming Hut in Crissy Field at 6:30am (oh, my!) and left promptly at 6:45. It's been very chilly and foggy the last few weeks in SF, which, for me makes optimum walking weather. :) The 3-day SF event is the first weekend of October, which is usually our Indian Summer, so I'm mentally trying to prepare myself with the knowledge that it'll be much hotter then.

The route that we took yesterday was really great. We started in Crissy Field on a trail in the Presidio that goes underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. Neat way to start the day!


This is what the Golden Gate Bridge looks like at 7:00am ;)

We walked through the Presidio, onto Lincoln Blvd. We had a great view of Baker Beach.


View of the Pacific Ocean from above Baker Beach

We took Lincoln Ave to El Camino Del Mar, through the Sea Cliff neighborhood. I love seeing these beautiful houses! Lincoln Ave passes through the Lincoln Park Golf Course - a course that Dick, Andy and I played last year.



View of the Golden Gate Bridge and Lincoln Park Golf Course

At the top of Lincoln Ave is The Legion of Honor - where Dick and I got married. :)


The CA Palace of the Legion of Honor

We found that the trails on the other side of the Legion of Honor had been blocked off, due to construction of a nearby parking lot. That didn't stop the Hotties, though! We found our way around the fences and made our way through to the other end.


Rebellious Hotties!

We took the trail onto Point Lobos Ave, which turned left onto the Great Highway.

At this point, we passed by the Cliff House. It was probably around 8:30 or so by this time, and we could smell them cooking breakfast/brunch. It was hard not to stop!


The Cliff House - calling me with promises of Bloody Marys and Pop-Overs!

I had mentioned in my previous post how very impressed I am with the organization of the Warming Hot Hotties. Not only do they meet every weekend to train together, with pre-planned routes with rest stops, but on longer walks (like this 16-mile walk, and the 20-mile walk the day before) they also plan to have route support along the way. They have a volunteer (another walker, or someone who does route support for the actual event) drive the route in a car, meeting us along the way and at all designated stops. The car is stocked with snacks, water and gatorade, and will pick up walkers along the route if they are unable to finish.


Some of the snacks provided by Susan - Route Support Extraordinaire!

After a bathroom break at the Beach Chalet (again with the delicious-smelling breakfast food!) we walked along the Great Highway, along the Pacific Ocean for about two miles.

We turned left on Taraval, and walked another couple of miles until we reached our next break stop.

After our break, we continued down Taraval, and passed this great set of stairs! Apparently, the stairs were not part of our actual route (which I didn't realize until after) but we decided to add them to our training walk! I've realized during these training walks that I have an unusual love of stairs and hills. Now mind you, I didn't walk 20-miles the day before, so I had more enthusiasm (and energy) than most of the other walks. I also realize that I probably won't enjoy stairs and hills as much after day 1, 2 or 3 of the event! Anyhow, I did love these stairs yesterday! They were really pretty, and had a great view at the top!


View of the stairs from the bottom


View of the stairs from the top!

We made our way into Golden Gate Park, and took our final break at Stow Lake. It's always so pretty there. :)

We turned onto JFK Drive, walked through the park a little more then eventually made our way to 25th Ave, and back onto Lincoln Drive - which is quite long, and uphill in this direction!

I had been warned by other walkers last week that your body really starts to feel the effects of a walk around mile 14 or 15. It was true! My legs and feet were starting to get tired once we were back in the Presidio. It wasn't so bad, although I did notice the beginnings of a blister on one of my heals. I put some mole skin (great stuff) on it at the last break, which helped a lot. The blister never got any worse. Phew!

We made our way back under the Golden Gate Bridge, and arrived back at the Warming Hut around 1:00. I was a little sore and stiff after walking 16-miles, but not too bad. I think it's also time to retire my trusty old walking shoes, and break out the new ones (that I've been trying to break in) for the next walk.

Next weekend: another 2-day, 12-Mile back-to-back weekend!


I made it!! A little wind-blown, and tired after finishing my first 16-mile training walk!

No comments: