Monday, February 25, 2008

Why it's always important to follow up

...because no one else is watching out for you!

Way back in mid-December, I returned some items that we'd ordered from the Restoration Catalog. The items were needed for our bathroom remodel, but the shipment of these items were delayed, and we didn't get them in time to use them in the bathroom. (they were the sink trap/supply kit.) We ended up buying something else, so I returned them to a Restoration Hardware store, rather than paying extra to have them shipped back to the company.

I returned 6 towels, (2 of each size, and the color didn't go quite well enough with our bathroom) one H2O Supply kit, and one P Trap Kit.

The guy at the store told me that he would send these items back to the warehouse, but warned me that it may be a few weeks before the refund/credit showed up on our credit cards statement. Because of this, I made a mental note to check our credit card statement periodically so make sure these credit were posted.

One credit (for the towels) showed up on 12/28. Not bad.

Another credit (for the P Trap Kit) posted on 1/2.

I never saw the final credit (for the H20 Supply kit) post at all.

I kept all of my receipts, and jotted down the dates that each credit was made.

Last night, as we were paying bills, I checked the credit card statement one more time. Nothing.

I figured enough time had passed, and it was time to give Restoration Hardware's customer service line a call again.

I just called them.
They agreed that the refund had never been sent, and that they still owed me $225 (plus tax) for the last item.

$225.00.

That's a lot of dough.

They are processing my request now, and say it should show up on my credit card statement within 4-5 business days.

Just another example on why it's so important to keep up with things, and follow up.
I could've easily forgotten about that return, and assumed that it was done right. That would've been a lot of money down the drain (pun somewhat intended).

No comments: