Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Single and Unattached Day!

Today is Valentine's Day.

Here's the thing: Dick and I have been together for 9 years now.

When we first started dating, we passed by a window decorated for Valentine's Day, and he stated right there and then, "Just so you know. I hate Valentine's Day."

Um. okay...

He says he see it as a Hallmark Holiday (which it is), and doesn't feel like he should have to celebrate a fake holiday. Now, before you think he's a total scrooge, and completely unromantic, he'll also say that, "Everyday with me is Valentine's Day!". :)

So, no, we don't celebrate Valentine's Day in our house, and I'm okay with that. I still manage to slip him a Valentine's Day Card every year, which I know he secretly appreciates.

Here's the really funny part: During the first two years that we dated, Dick was literally out of the country on Valentine's Day. I teased him that he was avoiding it. The truth was that he was away on business in Japan. In fact, I think that one of those years, he managed to bypass Valentine's Day all together through the wonders of the International Date Line!

Well, true to form, Dick is away again this year (he's up in Seattle for business, but will be home late tonight). I'm pretty sure he plans these trips well ahead of time. It's become an annual joke between us.

My color guard friends and I used to get together on February 14th and celebrate "Single and Unattached Day". There were the usual heart-shaped cakes with a knife stabbed through them, and tales of woe and bitterness. Good times.

Even though I am no longer single and unattached, I still have a lot more experience celebrating "Single and Unattached Day" than I have celebrating "Valentine's Day".

So, to all my friends, attached or not, I wish you a "Happy Single and Unattached Day!".

No comments: