Friday, June 15, 2007

"The Police" in concert, 2007


photo from: http://thepolicetour2007.blogspot.com

I meant to write a post yesterday about the concert that I attended Wednesday night.

I went to see The Police in concert! Dick and I were able to get tickets through our friend, Jud (thanks, Jud!). sidenote: for you color guard geeks, Jud graduated from Indio High School! Unfortunately, Dick was under the weather all week, plus he had to go on a business trip early Thursday morning. He decided on Tuesday that it would probably be best for me to find someone else to take along to the concert.

This was really great news for my Mom! She was really wanted to go to this concert, but was unable to get tickets.

Our seats were really great. (thanks again, Jud!)They were 13 rows up from the field, right around first base. The picture above is not mine (I found it on the web, and it is from Wednesday night) but it's pretty accurate in showing our view of the stage.

I really enjoyed the concert. I've read a few reviews already that were not too favorable, and to be honest, that doesn't really surprise me. I mean, let's face it: these guys broke up more than 20 years ago. It's a great opportunity for them, but I wonder how much they're really enjoying the tour.

But that's not to say that it wasn't good. (for me at least) The music is classic, and I thought they sounded good. Actually, I thought the beginning was a little shaky, but that the concert got better and better with each song. By the time they reached Roxanne (last song in the set before the encores) I thought they were GREAT.

Plus, I've always wanted to see Sting in concert. The man has an amazing voice, and such charisma. He could sing the ABC song, and I'd still love him. Hearing the band play Roxanne, King of Pain, and Every Breath You Take was worth the price of admission alone.

In true Trina-fashion, I wasn't really into The Police in the 80s. I think I thought that they were grossly overplayed. I've realized that I've come to really love their music over the past 20 years, and I'm so happy that I was actually able to see them perform LIVE. :)

A few random notes from the concert:
  • The crowd seemed to be roughly my age or older

  • Most people around me wore earplugs

  • I knew there was at least one opening act, yet, my Mom and I still arrived on time. (6:30) The Police didn't actually start their set until 9:00. That was a lot of time to people watch, and eat expensive stadium food.

  • why do people feel the need to sing along with the music at the top of their lungs? The guy behind us was screaming the lyrics during every-single-song. It was quite distracting, as my ears couldn't adjust to actually hearing The Police.

  • The sound system was terrible for the opening acts. It was so loud (or I'm just getting really old) and I couldn't understand a thing their said or played.

  • The stadium was packed! (largest crowd I can remember seeing at any event)

  • Public transportation (BART and MUNI) ROCK when attending a big event like this.

  • I can't believe I saw The Police in concert!

No comments: