Saturday, June 23, 2007

New art acquisition

I wish I could claim credit to this painting, but I can not.

As you may know, I often take a daily walk which always includes walking the parameter of Dolores Park. One of my favorite views of the city is from the top corner: it overlooks the entire park, Dolores Street (with its many palm trees), Mission Dolores, and (best of all) the entire Downtown San Francisco Skyline.

I've always wanted to paint a scene from that view of the park, but frankly, the thought of it always intimidated me.

Yesterday, as I was taking my walk along the park, I noticed a man painting in his van, parked on 20th Street. He had a few of his paintings leaning on the outside of the van. His paintings struck me in a way that few paintings do. He was painting with oil paints on the reverse side of an old window pane - something that I've always been meaning to try. In fact, I have a few great old windows in my basement, just waiting for me to be inspired with an idea. Anyhow, not only did I admire his technique and style, but I was also struck by his composition, use of color and, of course, the subject matter.

He was painting scenes from Dolores Park. I talked with him at length, and learned that he's originally from Kentucky, and drives around to different cities, painting landscapes of them. He came to Dolores Park about a week ago, and just fell in love with it. From what I could tell, he probably had a dozen or more paintings that he was in the process of working on while I was there. He said he's had great success in selling them everyday.

I told him that we San Franciscans are proud of our City, and its views, and that he picked the perfect location to paint from, of, and to sell from. He only had about 4 pieces finished and available for sale yesterday afternoon. I asked if he had any paintings depicting the view from the top corner, and he said he'd been working on some sketches, and would be painting them the next day. He invited me to come back tomorrow (which is now today) to see them.

I was so inspired and excited by his work. I came home with my head full of ideas of new techniques to try. This kind of inspiration doesn't happen to me often, so when it does, it's quite exciting!

I had dinner with my parents and my sister last night, and told them all about the gorgeous paintings I had just seen in the afternoon, and about my excitement of possibly buying one. Dick had been away on business for a few days, and returned home last night. I wanted to bring him to the park to show him the paintings before making that decision on my own.

After a series of crazy events this afternoon (which included driving through the Castro on Pride weekend), we made it over to the park. Duke (the name of the artist) was working on a medium-sized window (30" x 40"), which he showed me. It was exactly what I was looking for: it's a scene from the top corner, showing the park, the palm trees, and the distinct San Francisco Skyline in the back. Dick saw it, and liked it as well, so we put a deposit down, and told him we'd come back later in the day once he was finished painting it.

This painting makes me happy in so many ways. I love its composition, and its vibrant colors. I love that it's a cityscape, but slightly abstracted. I love that it's a view from one of my favorite places in the City. I love that it's painting on an old window frame. And I especially love that we were able to support a local and very talented artist.

I've never bought an original painting from another artist before. Obviously, I love a lot of art, but there are so few pieces that I've seen that I'd actually want to pay money for, and hang in my home. This may sound a bit absurd, considering that I've worked for many years at an art gallery. I think that may be part of it. Through the gallery, and through art school, I've been (happily) exposed to so many wonderful pieces of art. I think this has taught me to learn the distinction between art I like, art I'd like to own, art that personally inspires me, art I'd like to look at every day, and afford ability. (the last one is the one that usually stops me!)

Anyhow, Dick and I just took a jaunt back to the park to pick up our new painting. When I arrived, Duke was back in his van working on his newest piece. He said that the painting that I had put a deposit down on had already attracted a lot of attention. I'm so pleased with the final product, and am happy that I was able to watch him as he was painting it earlier in the day.

I'm really looking forward finding the right spot to hang our new piece of art.

No comments: