Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Happy Messenger

Ah. sometimes the world works in such nice ways...

I just got a call and email from Philip, my dear friend, fellow color guard geek, and Armistead Maupin admirer. Philip has a new semi-regular arts/culture writing gig with KQED Interactive. His next assignment is to write his review on Armistead Maupin's newest book, Michael Tolliver Lives. You may recall that Philip and I attended the book signing together two weeks ago.

Anyhow, Philip is busy doing research for his book review, and he found Armistead Maupin's blog. The fact that he's writing a blog is exciting enough news to both of us.

But, wait... there's' more!

As Philip was reading through the blog posts, he claims his jaw dropped when he read the following paragraph from this post:

Book tour has been offering shouts from the past. In SF I received a note (passed via his lovely daughter-in-law) from my junior high English/social studies teacher, Richard Craddock. Sent pics of himself, then and now. “Mr. Craddock” was a baby back then, but seemed like such an adult. Called me his claim to fame, the sweet man.

After Philip pulled his jaw up from off the floor, he managed to call me and send me an email with the link.

I can't tell you how happy this makes me. I was afraid that the letter might have been put off to the side, and forgotten amongst all the many book signings that Mr. Maupin had lined up for that day. I'm thrilled to know that he really did have a chance to read it, remembered his old teacher, and that he thought to mention it on his blog.

I'll be sure to pass this along to Dick's father - Richard Craddock, Sr.
Reading this will surely make him very happy.

No comments: