Friday, April 09, 2004

Home Sweet Home

We're back!

We've actually been back since early Wednesday morning. Our flight landed at 5:00am.

I know I didn't do a very good job of journaling/blogging about our vacation during the time we were actually there, but hey - I had things to do! (like laying out by the pool, and eating the best sashimi of my life!)

So, let's work our way backwards, and I'll write whatever comes to mind.....

I love flying the red-eye flight. Okay, it certainly helped that we used our miles to upgrade to First Class. The best part of first class is the fact that you're never without a full glass of water. Okay, there are the other perks of better food, service, shorter bathroom lines, and more legroom, too... ;) I think I found the perfect recipe for a good flight - 1 Dramamine Pill, taken with one glass of red wine. Yep, that did it for me. I was out like a light within 30 minutes of take-off. Best part was waking up (on my own) within a minute or so of hearing the captain announce that we would be landing in about 10 minutes. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh..... SFO is pretty quiet at 5:30am. We retrieved our baggage, and caught a cab very easily. The kitties were very happy that we're home.

More vacation news: not really too much to report. I confess that I spent most of my time sitting by the (fabulous) pool, sipping on fruity smoothies, reading really bad magazines. (Turns out that this my my vacation vice) It was wonderfully relaxing. We managed to snorkel (sea turtles) and took a kiyak out, too.

Food: Food is a very important component of a good vacation, no? The food at the resort was absolutely FABULOUS.Yum. I seriously ordered sashimi almost every single day that we were there. My Hawaiian vacation mantra was "must have fish at least once a day". We also had Mahi Mahi, Ohno, Lobster tails, sushi, and some other fish that I can't remember the names - Moi, I think was another. All were wonderful.

The case of the missing waiter: Although the resort and food were outstanding, we were a bit confused by the service at the restaurants... One night as we were dining outside, our waiter simply... Disappeared! Yep, he brought us drinks, took our order, and we never saw him again! Another person brought our food (was was great), but we were never served our wine. We ate. Our table was cleared. We waited..... and waited...but alas, where did our waiter go? After another 20 minutes or so, (no check-in by anyone, no dessert menu offered, and no check!) we approached the host. he apologized profusely, checked in the back, didn't really offer any explanations, but gave us a nice discount on the check. We were honestly concerned that perhaps something had happened to our waiter. When we asked if he had left the premises, the host (who seemed confused by the whole matter as well) replied, "no, he's right over there". Weird. it's hard to explain, and I don't think I'm doing a very good job, but trust me - it was weird!

That's actually the best story I have. The rest of it really did consist of eating, and sleeping. It was really wonderful.

I do have to say though - it was really nice returning home!

I'll post some more pictures in the next day or so. We caught some gorgeous sunsets.

Okay, time to go to bed now. The movers are coming to Dick's house early in the morning to get the rest of our furniture out!

No comments: