Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Reflections of life, love, and the uncertain medical condition....

I don't often discuss the neurological condition that I was diagnosed with nearly 19 years ago (It is called Axial Myoclonus). It came from out of blue, rocked my world, threw me into a severe depression and took over my life. I was not with the right partner for me at the time. I put absolutely no blame on him at all. It was a very difficult situation for both of us. His stress added to my stress and we spiraled down together. Later, I met the right person, the man who would become my husband, and saw how differently he dealt with my symptoms and condition. It was only then that I realized how very important having the right love and support is. He lifted me up, kept me from spiraling down, and has helped me keep my symptoms and condition stabilized for several years now.

I just got off the phone with a close family friend who I only recently found out is going through a similar medical condition/scare/uncertainty/frustration that I have. We talked for a long time, and I told her about my experiences, frustrations, and the steps I took that I believe helped me, both emotionally and physically. It brought it all back up to the surface for me, and I hope that I can help her as she goes through this uncertain journey.

...and then I saw this post on FB from Humans of New York.



I am not comparing what my experience is with the woman here, but I feel I can relate. What I do know is that having the real love and support of a spouse/partner/family/friends makes all the difference when your world is tumbling down around you.

For all of you who have been "That Person" for someone in your life, we thank you.

Dick Craddock, I love you.
(Mom, Dad and Sis, too!)

No comments: