Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Raggedy Ann in Fremont, Seattle

When my Sister and Graham were out visiting us in Seattle last year, they went to Fremont and found a sculpture of a little Raggedy Ann doll and took a photo of her for me.

Dick and I went to Fremont a few months ago, but I was unable to find her. I knew she was part of a larger sculpture, but I couldn't figure out which one, or where it was. (I didn't try very hard, I realize now.)

We found her yesterday! SO cute.

She's part of a sculpture called "Late for the Interurban", a statue honoring Washington icons J. P. Patches and Gertrude.

Now that I know the story behind the sculpture, I think it's really fantastic, and I regret not taking a photo of the full installation.

Here's an article about it.

From the article:

From 1958 until 1981, J. P. (Julius Pierpont) Patches hosted one of the longest-running children’s TV shows in American history, on KIRO TV in Seattle, and left an indelible impression on hundreds of thousands of Western Washington children who grew up watching him. The life-sized statute, designed by artist Kevin Pettelle of Sultan, is on the south side of North 34th Street in Fremont between Fremont and Aurora avenues N. The event, dubbed J. P. Patches Day, was organized by History House of Greater Seattle, located in Fremont.

about the Raggedy Ann doll:
The ICU2-TV set was placed a short distance behind the statue, with a small collection can (for donations to Children’s) and a sculpture of Esmerelda the rag doll tucked discreetly behind the set.




No comments: