Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pilates Tower on the Go

I've been taking pilates classes from my friend, Blane, for the last 12 years. I started with him when he was first starting his business in pilates, and continued with him after he and his business partner, Liz, opened up their studio Parkside Pilates in 2008.

I only went about once a week (at best, as sometimes I was out of town, or our schedules didn't fit), but once a week for 12 years isn't bad. I really enjoyed our sessions, as they were equal time workout, and equal time of visiting with my friend. :)

When we moved to Bellevue, I wanted to figure out a way that I could continue doing pilates.

I remembered that Blane had worked on a video a few years back for a product called "Tower on the Go". It is basically a pilates apparatus that can be used in almost any location in your home or hotel room. I asked Blane before I moved if he thought this video workout would be a fine substitute for the private lessons that I've been taking from him. He said it was, and I was intrigued....

I've had it set up up for a while now, but only managed to get in my first test drive workout in today. I've realized that it has been since early December since I had my last session with Blane, and I think my core strength is suffering for it.

The biggest obsticle I found with the equipment, is that it needs to go onto a door with the doorjamb - the direction that the soor closes (so that the door doesn't swing open during your workout from the resistance). I think the best option for me is the bathroom door in the guest bedroom. The main problem is that I have to open up my closet door on the opposite wall to get enough space to back into. Not ideal, but it mostly worked.

Once I started the video with Blane's instruction, it as almost like he was here in the room with me. Fun! After taking lessons from him for so long, I was familiar with all of the exercises, but it was helpful to have him speak the directions and counts - just like taking a class with Blane! (without all of the giggling, and discussion of the latest movies, TV shows, and books.)

The video workout was a full 60-minute, full-budy workout consisting of segments centered on core, lower body and upper body. Very well-rounded. I definitely felt like I got a great workout from it - I was sweating early on, and I know my body will be feeling it later.


There's my friend, Blane, on the video!


The video menu listing the different workout segments

Here's a sample video of what the workout video looks like.




My set up at home - the straps with springs on my bathroom door


the pilates mat leading into my closet - almost enough room to do everything I need!


My full set-up

After my first workout, I'm pretty sure that this is going to work very well for me. I'll need to do it at least once a week, as I did in SF, but ideally, should do it at least 3 times a week.

I think it's an outstanding option for someone who is familiar with pilates, and it is safe for all levels.

Thanks, Blane! Nice to be doing pilates workouts with you again!! xo

No comments: