Friday, March 14, 2014

Market Street Painting Progress

Well, it's been a couple of weeks, but I finally was able to come back to painting earlier this week. I was away in SF last week. Why no blog posts from that trip? Well, I was sick in bed the entire time. Bummer of a way to spend a trip in SF, but at least I had my comfy bed in my own comfy home.

I'm just now starting to feel like myself again, and have enough energy to concentrate on painting.

I started a couple of days ago, and did a little more work today.

The other day, I mostly focuses on the tall building on the left. It has a looong way to go, but it's a start. I did manage to meet with my painting instructor, Dean, for an hour while I was in SF. He suggested that I straighten out the building (which is leaning/crooked in the original photo) so I'm just starting to get the angles right. I was going to darken the entire building with a glaze today, but alas, the paint hadn't dried yet. That's why there's a big brown blur on the second photo today. :)

Today, I worked on what I learned is the "focus" of the painting - the MUNI trolley and other cars in the middle of the photo. I wanted to add more detail to that area to detract from the bus leading into the painting. (although, I love the bus) I think it's getting more interesting in that section now.

Dick just pointed out that I really need to pay attention to the perspective of the street lights - and he's right. I'll start with that next time, after the paint dries. I've been meaning to take the ruler out and check/fix all the lines in general anyway.

Always a work in progress....


at the end of Tuesday's Session


at the end of today's session


detail. at the moment, i think this detail may be a more interesting composition than the actual painting right now. will have to work on that. ;)

No comments: