Saturday, November 02, 2013

Trina's Vacation of visiting Old Friends! Part 1: Cody!!!

I'm on vacation in Southern California for the next several days. I'm calling it: "Trina's Vacation of visiting Old Friends!"

I don't mean it in the "all my friends are old" kind of way. Rather, everyone that I'll be seeing this week have been in my life for the last 19-38 years!!! That's right - these are some deep friendships, dating back to my best friend from first grade when I was 5 years old! Pretty cool, right?

I flew from SFO to San Diego early this morning. I knew I couldn't check into my hotel room until after Noon today, so I had some free time. As I was walking off my plane in San Diego, the thought occurred to me, "Cody lives in San Diego! Maybe he'll be free for a spontaneous breakfast!"

Now, I haven't seen Cody in more than 4 years, so I wasn't sure if I had any of his current contact info. I tried calling the last mobile number I had for him, but it was the wrong number. I sent him an email to all three old email addresses I had, but none of them were current. I sent him a private message on Facebook, but know full well that he's never on Facebook. Finally, I sent a message to his older brother, Hobie, who lives in Atlanta, asking him for Cody's current mobile number. (Thanks, Hobie!)

Low and behold, I got through to Cody immediately, and miraculously, he was free and excited to meet me for breakfast within the hour! (He's been travelling for months on business, and only got home last night!)

Cody and I go back to Winter of 1990. We were roommates in Garden Grove, CA when we both marched in the Anaheim Kingsmen. He was only 17 at the time (a senior from high school that we plucked up from Illinois, and moved to Southern Cal!) We lived together as roommates for one year, and marched together in Madison, WI for two years after. We don't see each other very often (maybe once every 3-5 years), but somehow that never matters. We picked right back up from where we left off last time.

This was an AMAZING way to start this vacation. Thanks for the spontaneous breakfast, Cody!!


Cody!

No comments: