Thursday, November 14, 2013

"Star Wars -The Exhibition" at the Tech Museum

I spent a wonderfully geeky afternoon with my parents at the The Tech Museum of Innovation in Downtown San Jose. They have a really great Star Wars exhibition showing through late February.

Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination(from their website)
Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination, presented by Bose Corporation®, was developed by the Museum of Science, Boston in collaboration with Lucasfilm Ltd. and the exhibition makes use of an extensive archive collection on loan from the Lucas Cultural Arts Museum.

We went on a Thursday afternoon, which was great because it was fairly quiet. I understand that they are fully sold out for the weekend, so we feel lucky that we were able to see it without any crowds.

I feel like I've been fortunate to see a few different Star Wars exhibitions before, but none quite like this. They had several models, mostly ships and droids, from all 6 of the Star Wars films. They also had a lot of costumes, props, and some great videos with interviews of behind the scenes.

If you're a Star Wars fan, and you have a chance, I highly recommend seeing this exhibit while it's in town.


with my Mom and Dad at the entrance to the exhibition


the original Millennium Falcon from Episode IV


Han Solo and Chewbacca - I think these were from Episode IV


The Wampa (made for the Special Edition Empire Strikes Back in the late 90s) and an Imperial Snow Trooper


Luke's Landspeeder (and a model which was used for distance scenes) from Episode IV


My Mom at one of the hands-on booths - she was trying to drive over a forced air floor - simulating a landspeeder on Tatooine


Darth Vader's Suit - I think this was from Episode III


All kinds of droids - all of which I had in my action figure collection! The interrogator droid (Episode IV) and the two medical droids from Episode V


Blasters and lightsabers - most of these were from Episodes I-III


Princess Leia's costume, R2-D2 and C3-PO


Yoda and a Jedi Training Remote (Episode IV)


An Imperial All Terrain Scout Transport and a small-scale AT-AT


A naked C3-PO (Episode I) and the Imperial Probe Droid


We paid for the special "Millennium Falcon Experience" where they take 4 people at a time into the cockpit of the Millenium Falcon to show a short film about space (we jumped to hyperspace several times!)

No comments: