Friday, June 24, 2011

Blast from the Past Coincidence!!


Trina & Yoon Joo

I had the most amazing, serendipitous blast from the past moment this evening: Dick and I were in Japantown for dinner, and decided to try out a Shabu Shabu place that we've been meaning to try for a few years. We sat down, and immediately after, I heard someone call my name.

I turned around, and came face-to-face with a lovely woman who I have not seen since 1993! Yoon Joo!!

I taught Yoon Joo way back in the Fall of 1989 when she was a freshman at Saratoga HS. I think I also came back to help with the guard the following Fall as well, and stayed in touch with the group through her Senior year, which I believe was 1993.

We managed to reconnect over Facebook a couple of years ago. Yoon Joo (who also goes by Vivian now) keeps up to date on Facebook, and said that she recognized me right away!

What an amazing coincidence - neither of us had ever been to this restaurant before, and yet somehow, we both decided to go tonight at the same time.

Yoon Joo lives in the Richmond District in SF, and is a student at the Academy of Art College. Now that we've actually run into to each other, we've promised to try to set up a time to get together again for some quality catch-up time! We have a lot to catch up on!

I figured she was probably around 18 years old when I last saw her, and it's been about 18 years since then. Wild!

Great seeing you this evening, Yoon Joo! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!!

No comments: