Monday, October 12, 2009

New York: Day 5

another GREAT day!

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I've never been to the Guggenheim Museum before. This is mostly because I've only been to NYC twice (and one of those times was only for a day), but still....

This month, the Guggenheim Museum celebrates its 50th Anniversary. For the occassion, they have put together a very special Kandinsky show. Kandisky was the artist that Guggenheim was primarily collecting, and he needed a larger venue for his vast collection. He commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to design a new museum, and the rest is history. :)

First of all, the architecture of the Guggenheim is simply spectacular. It is a must-see destination in and of itself. I've been a Kandisnsky fan for a long time. I've always enjoyed his work immensely. Seeing the building for the first time, along with the Kandisky exhibit was mind blowing. I don't say that lightly. The Guggenheim is now probably my favorite museum, and this exhibit is one of my most favorite that I've ever seen.

If it's a possibility at all, I highly recommend making your way out to NYC to see it before it closes in January.

I would have loved to have taken some photos of the exhibit, but alas, no photography allowed within the building except from the very bottom. Bummer. Not that I don't understand, it's just that the view of looking over the spiral to a wall of Kandinsky paintings was so unbelievable.


The one photo I was allowed to snap from the bottom floor


The outside of the museum

After spending a few hours in the Guggenheim, we strolled some more through Central Park. It was cooler today, and I swear some of the leaves have begun to change from the last day we were here on Saturday. :)

We needed a snack, so we sought out the Boathouse. We found out that they have a side take-out/quick food option aside from the regular restaurant. Handy tip of the day: the chicken pot pies ($6) from the take out counter of the Boathouse are really, really good!


The Boathouse Restaurant

We walked back to mid-town, right around sunset, and decided to go to the observation deck of Rockerfeller Center. It was a lovely evening, and not too crowded. A really neat way to see the City. :)


The Empire State Building, as seen from the top of Rockerfeller Center

As I was at the Guggenheim, an old friend from high school, Greg, noticed that I was here in NYC (he lives here!) and suggested that we try to meet for drinks. Luckily, he works in mid-town, and worked late, so we were able to meet for drinks at the Algonquin. So nice to see an old friend! (thanks, Greg!) I'm sorry that I somehow managed to forget to take a picture of us together. :(

The night was capped off by a Red Velvet Cupcake from Magnolia Bakery (of Sex and the City fame). Yum-O!


Red Velvet cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery

Another great day in a great city!

No comments: