Saturday, October 14, 2006

Believe it or Not...

Our friend, Martin, is visiting us from Seattle this weekend.

This morning, I heard him whistling a song that I thought I recognized as the theme to "The Greatest American Hero". Then I thought, "No, that can't be it. Why would he be whistling that song?"

Next thing I know, Dick is asking him, "Dude. Are you whistling the song from "The Greatest American Hero"?"

Martin (who is from Denmark) has never heard of the old television show from the early 80s, but said he knows it from an episode of Seinfeld. Apparently, there's an episode where George sets his answering machine to a song that he sings to the same tune.

from wikipedia.com:
In the episode "The Susie", of the popular sitcom Seinfeld, George Costanza sets his answering machine message to the tune he himself made that parodies "Believe It or Not".


Anyhow, Dick and I both thought it was very funny that Martin was whistling the tune, and we both started to sing the song. Somehow, both of us knew all of the lyrics. Martin sat in utter amazement, staring at us.

Early this afternoon, we made a trip out to Best Buy, and started to scan the CD section for a "TVs Greatest Theme Songs" CD, and sure enough, found this CD called All-Time Top 100 TV Themes. The song Believe it or Not (The theme song to The Greatest American Hero is track 31 on Disc 1. We couldn't resist. We bought it, and immediately started to listen to it in the car.

Martin was quite amazed to learn that both Dick and I knew the songs and the lyrics to most of the songs. Random trivial knowledge, at it's best :) Actually, Dick knew more than I did - he was really belting out the songs from the programs from the 60s and early 70s. I did well with mid-70s through the 80s.

I think this will be a fun CD to pop in every once in a while. Believe me, you have no idea how many TV theme songs you have stored up in your head!

No comments: