Saturday, March 11, 2006

O Canada

Greetings from Vancouver, B.C.

We arrived on Thursday afternoon, and will be returning to SF tomorrow. We're up here for one of Dick's work-related/technical-big-wigs/bring-your-significant-others/mixer things.

We're staying at the Fairmont Hotel, which is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Vancouver.

Dick and I haven't had a chance to travel to Vancouver together before, although we've both been more than 10 years ago.

I've actually been a few times: I came in 1996 with my friend Todd. We came up for a day-trip while we were visiting my sister who had a gig in Seattle for a few weeks. I came in 1986 for the World's Expo with my family, another time in 1985 on a color guard trip, and my first time was in 1980 on a family vacaction with my family, and my Aunt and Uncle.

I'll have to tell my family that staying at the Fairmont Hotel is a far cry from the motel that we all stayed at during our first trip up in 1980. We all still joke about it to this day. As the story goes, my parents had arranged most of the lodging during our 2-week trip (we had all driven from Milpitas/San Jose up to Vancouver) and my Aunt was asked to book a hotel/motel for us in Vancouver. I remember that she had my sister and I all excited that there was a pool at the hotel. When we arrived, we discovered that the pool was green with algae, and I still remember the cockroaches in the bedroom, and having to wear flip-flops in the shower because it was slimy! Ewwww. Ah yes, character building... I relayed that story to Dick when we checked into our lovely room at the Fairmont. :)

We've been busy doing the work-related events/social things for the past two days - I've also managed to sneek in a couple of really nice naps. Today we're on our own, and we're going to venture out to Stanley Park, and perhaps walk across the Capilano Suspension Bridge! The weather looks clear, but cold today, but I'll take that over rain anytime.

oh - almost forgot. we had the most amazing dessert during dinner last night (the last night of the event). The dessert was called "fire and ice". It was presented on a "plate" of 1" thick curcular ice which etched with stars. The ice was laying on top of a silver napkin which was surrounded by one of`those little glow-in-the-dark thin tubes that was formed as a circle (so it illuminated the ice above it). The ice plate had two circular indentations - one held a cup made of woven white chocolate, filled with chocolate mousse, and fresh berries, and a tub of dark chocolate. The other circle held a glass made of ice that was filled with ice wine. OMG! It was all so amazing! It was, hands down, the most incredible dessert presentation any of us had ever seen. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me. I really wish I did!

No comments: