Thursday, March 02, 2006

In the days before blogging....

I never really kept a regular diary. This blog, which I've had for 2.5 years is certainly the closest thing I've ever had to a day-to-day journal.

Last night, I was returning a book to my bookshelf, and I came across a journal that I kept from August, 1994 through October 1995. It was the only journal that I can remember ever writing in.

It was such an interesting read, as I don't think I've read it since it was written over 10 years ago.

At the time, I was taking art classes at De Anza College, working at the High Tech Center (also at De Anza) and also teaching color guard (80 students!). The first thing I noticed was my very crazy day-to-day schedule, which would completely exhaust me now. I had a LOT more energy back then! I was constantly on the go: leaving Milpitas at 7:30am for school. Depending on the day, I would have classes through the afternoon, sometimes evenings. Other days, I would work part time at the High Tech Center. Some afternoons, most evenings, and all weekends were spent teaching the guard. I don't remember ever being home before 11:00pm. Yeesh. It's no wonder I'm starting to get grey hair!

Another thing that struck me were the people who I wrote about 10+ years ago. My family is, of course, in there. I wrote about a last-minute trip that my Mom and I took to London and Paris (and Euro-Disney!) in February 1995. I also wrote about my sister's first theater job with Phantom of the Opera (October, 1995). There are several excerpts about going away to visit friends (Chicago, Madison, and Minneapolis with Tammy, Sal, Bill and Eileen) and friends coming to visit me (Tammy came to visit when I first moved to SF) I wrote about my first impressions of Art School at the San Francisco Art Institute, and some friends who I made there. I even mention my bro, Christopher, back in the days that I still called him "Chris". (for shame!) Most of the people who I wrote about in my journal are still in my life today. That's pretty cool. There is, of course, a few exceptions. Apparently, I went on a date with a guy named "Sam" way back September, 1994. I had to strain my brain to try to remember that - I now vaguely remember it. Another funny thing that I completely forgot about was the time that my sister when on a date with a guy named "Holgar". (I had completely forgotten this!)

It was really cool to read about what my life was all about back then. It doesn't seem all that long ago, but at the same time, so much has happened since! Since I was still in art school, my brain was obviously thinking more creatively back then - I drew out a couple of sketches of dreams that I had, with the intent to paint. (never did)

It makes me a bit sorry that I never journaled my life more completely. I'm really glad that I have this blog, which I do a decent job of updating. It also made me realize how much more personal a written journal is than a Blog. A written journal is meant only for the eyes of the writer. It's very personal, and very private. When I write my Blog, I'm fully aware than anyone can read it, and I try not to put too much personal or private information on it.

No comments: