Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Marcel's worst. birthday. ever.

Our poor Big Cat, Marcel has had a rough couple of days.

This past Sunday (10/24) was his 9th Birthday! (We adopted him from the San Francisco SPCA when he was 4 1/2.) When Marcel came downstairs Sunday morning, we noticed that he was walking with a limp. Poor guy - he partied to hard the night before, and now he was paying for it. ;) We decided to keep an eye on his limp to see if it improved over the next day or so.

Monday morning, he was still limping, so I thought we might as well bring him in to the vet just to make sure it wasn't anything serious. (Noe had a limp about a year ago that turned out to be an infected wound that we couldn't see) Our vet is in Milpitas - I've been bringing my pets to this doctor for over 20 years. I also figured that we've been delaying bringing Marcel in to get his teeth cleaned, so we may as well do it all at once and get it over with.

I brought Marcel in at 10:00am. The doctor check out his hind leg, and couldn't find anything, so he figured it was probably a bruise or a minor sprain that would heal in time. That was good news. More good news: Marcel lost almost 2 pounds since we last brought him in 3 1/2 months ago! Yay! He's "down" to 15.2 lbs. now.

We still needed to have Marcel's teeth cleaned (he's never had it done before) so I was told to leave him there, and pick him up at 4:00.

I picked Marcel up at 4:00, and they brought him out to me in his carrier. They said his teeth were in good shape, and that the procedure went well. Poor Marcel - he was still quite groggy from the anesthesia. I was told that his gums may be sore from the cleaning, and he also had part of his front left paw shaved from when they put the IV in him.

Poor little guy. He was not happy with us.

I kept imagining him saying things like "This Birthday Sucks!" and "This is the worst Birthday ever!"

I had severe Momma Cat guilt.

When we got home, I tried to give him just a little bit of his regular dry food. I think his teeth were too sore to eat. I went to the store and bought him some yummy soft food. That was a HUGE treat for him - he ate the entire portion I gave him, and I think we all felt a lot better afterwards.

No comments: