Monday, June 28, 2004

Barbie gets sued

I just read this article in sfgate.com. It tells of an artist who was sued by Mattel Inc. in 1999 because of an art piece he had created using the iconic doll. The series of photos depicted Barbie dolls in sexually provocative positions. Mattel lost the case, and the artist later pursued to have his attorney & court case costs covered. It's an interesting article, and reminded me of a few projects I did about 10 years ago while in art school.

For some reason, I was on a "Barbie kick" for a couple of years. I think the main reason was because I hardly ever played with Barbie dolls. In fact, I didn't own a Barbie, but I did have her little sister, Skipper. Hmmmm. I was much more interested in playing with stuffed animals, and (of course) Raggedy Ann dolls.

Here's a link to some of my old Barbie Installation projects. I finally added an audio link to the "Discordant Angel" project. I think it's much more affective to read about it while listening to the song by Meryn Cadell.

No comments: