Monday, March 01, 2004

Ch-ch-ch-Changes!!!!!!!!!!

We're moving.

WHAT?!

Yep. we're moving.
This week.

But, why haven't you blogged about this before?

It has all happened very fast, and we wanted to make sure that everything was in place before telling everyone.

Where?

We're moving to The Castro (a mere 1.5 miles away) - I have a little condo over there.

Why?

Ah, yes. There's more to the story than that. (there always is)

I've owned the condo in the Castro (along with my family) for over 5 years now. I have rented it out for the past 2 years, when I moved in with Dick. In a weird, (but great) series of coincidences, my tenants gave notice to vacate, and my neighbors downstairs (of the 2 unit building) also decided to sell their unit. Dick and I jumped on this real estate opportunity.

So, long story short: Dick is buying the downstairs unit, I still own the upstairs unit. We like to think of it as: His and Her Condos (some people have towels, we have condos)

The idea is that Dick can sell his big house, buy the condo (smaller investment) but we'll have the luxury of owning both units (ie: the whole building) which is the same size as Dick's big house.

We've been working out the details only in the last 4 weeks or so. Everything is squared away now, and we have an actual moving date, so I figured it was safe to share the news with the world now.

It's a 3-step process: We've been having a lot of work done on my condo upstairs (the tenants didn't leave it in great shape, and it was due for a bit of a facelift anyway). We pulled up the old carpet in the bedrooms, and had the wood floors in the entire place refinished. We also had most of it repainted - they're finishing it up today or tomorrow. It looks amazing. Anyhow, our move-in date is set for this Thursday.

We'll be moving in all of our personal items, and some of our furniture. We're having our house "staged" for sale, and will leave so furniture here, so we won't have to store anything. Then, Dick's house will be painted (in the interior) and staged for sale. It should be up on the market in the middle of the month.

Finally, we'll be moving into the bottom unit in about another month. Then, we'll be able to sort things out and move the furniture into both unit.

So, contrary to how my blog has read over the past month, we've actually been really busy on all of this. lots of packing, planning, and contractors.

That's the scoop. I'll fill you in on more later - just wanted to start to get the word out.

I'll send out an email with our new address(s) and phone number this week.

No comments: