Friday, July 06, 2018

First (small!) batch of Plum Jam of 2018!!

It's that time again: Plum Season in our backyard!! I knew months ago that we wouldn't have the enormous crop of plums that we had last year, and in years passed. The weather was funny over the Winter and Spring, and the plum trees blossomed early, and then again later. Because of this, it looks like we'll have some plums, but not nearly as much as usual. (Although more than we had in 2015!)

We've had the nets up the couple of weeks, but haven't had too many plus fall yet. This morning, I gathered the plums in the net and decided to make a small batch. There are still plenty more plums on the tree, so I know we'll have more eventually, but not within the next day or two.

I gathered and sorted 8 cups of plums, which is 1/3 of a regular batch size for me. It made for a quick cooking session (finished within an hour) and it was a nice way to ease into it.

All in all, I got almost four 12oz jars with this first batch. It's really tasty!! We'll see how many more we get this year.

Recipe for 1/3 Batch:

8 cups of Plums
1/3 cup water

2-1/2 cups of sugar
1/3 cup pectin

No comments: