Saturday, April 23, 2016

Today's Deal of the Day

I've been missing buying tulips since we moved from Bellevue. I used to buy 6 stems for $4 at our Whole Foods. Tulips are more pricy here, so I hadn't treated myself this tulip season yet.

This afternoon, I was walking along the 100 block of Noe street, near Duboce park. I noticed a gentleman selling flowers, and recognized him from the documentary, "We Were Here". In the documentary, he spoke of how he has sold flowers on this block for over 30 years, and what it was like to live here in our neighborhood during the early days of the AIDS epidemic.

Today, he had a gorgeous assortment of tulips, so I felt compelled to buy some. He told me the prices for the regular bunches (I think around $8 for 5 stems) or he offered me the rest of his slightly older bunches for $1 each, or all of them for $3!!

The older bunches were still in great shape, so I took them all!! For the record, I bought 6 small bouquets of 5 stems each, so 30 tulips in all!! Actually, I gave him $5, as it is still a steal for the bounty of flowers he had offered me.

I thanked him, introduced myself, and we talked about the documentary a bit.

If you are in the area, head over to the 100 block of Noe Street and look for Guy selling his flowers. Somehow I managed to not take a photo of Guy and his flower stand!

Great conversation with a neighborhood fixture, and a gorgeous bouquet of tulips. All for $5. It's another good day in San Francisco.

No comments: