Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Jazz Study


"Jazz Study"
2015
oil on canvas
8 x 10 inches

I finished a small study of a photo that I took at Small's Jazz Club in NYC in October. It's a small, 8 x 10" canvas.

I started it about a month ago. The first version is way too light, as I was working with a lighted version of the photograph to get more details that were lost in the original version. Today, I darkened everything, and just added a few highlights and bits of color.

I was going for capturing the mood of the club versus detail.
Also, with a small study like this, I'm trying not to get too fussy with it.

The purpose of a study is to learn from the smaller version before working on a larger one. I think this will make for a nice, larger piece in the near future.


First Session


End of Second Session

No comments: