Monday, January 05, 2015

Donating Blood



Donating blood. Best way I could think of to honor Terri's memory today.

Tried to donate platelets, as I've done for years. I've always had a high platelet count (can usually donate 3 units in about an hour). Today I was told that the last time I donated here, my platelet count was 619. Higher than anyone here has seen, and I was deferred until they can get another sample count. Normal high is 250-350, and the machine can only go to 500. Crazy. So, whole blood it is, until they can test my platelet count again.

I always assumed a high platelet count was a good thing, but now I'm not so sure. I'll have to wait a couple of days to see what today's platelet count came in at. If it's still extra high, I'll contact my doctor. (although last time I had blood labs at my doctor (Nov, '14) I was told that my platelet count was a little lower than usual.)

No comments: