Thursday, May 15, 2014

Progress on the Mission Santa Clara Painting

It's been a while, but I was able to squeeze in a painting lesson with Dean this morning.

I'm having an interesting time with this piece. The subject and look is entirely different from anything I've done so far, which is a great learning experience.

The piece finally started coming together around the last half hour of today's three hour session. There's still more work to do, but I feel like it started to form towards the end.

I mostly worked on the lower glad of the piece today: the dark sections and silhouettes of the trees.

I also lightened, then darkened, then added color to the Mission and the grounds in front.

I played a bit more with the sky, particularly near and around the palm trees.

I'm kind of liking how the painting is a little bit bit of an abstract, bit still representational. I'll be back in a a few weeks to work on it some more.

No comments: