Monday, February 06, 2012

Where I stand: I will no longer be supporting the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation

Dear Friends and Family,

I want to thank you all again for supporting me and donating towards my participation in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure 60 mile walks over the last two years. The experiences that I’ve had while training, fundraising, and participating in these events have been incredible.

By now, you’re probably familiar with the news related to The Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation that happened last week.

Without going into too much detail, last Tuesday, the Susan G. Komen Foundation made a decision to cut off funding to Planned Parenthood, an organization that provides much needed screening and care to the under-insured and uninsured. The decision outraged many Komen supporters (including myself) and caused a huge amount of backlash against the Foundation. Early Friday morning, just over two days after the news broke, the Susan G. Komen Foundation reversed their decision.

There are plenty of news articles relating to last week’s decisions.

Here is a recent one from the Huffington Post

Here is a copy of the statement that was released by Nancy Brinker and the Susan G. Komen Board of Directors


I am still so upset an discouraged by this whole fiasco. To say that I am disappointed with the Susan G. Komen Foundation is a major understatement. After giving the matter much thought, I have come to the decision that I will no longer participate in any Komen events. Although I'm glad that Komen reversed their decision, I question the sincerity and long-term ramifications. The damage has been done in my mind - too little too late. We've also learned a whole lot more about them in the past few days. I no longer trust them in the way that I would need in order to continue walking or raising funds in their name. I think that at best, Komen bent to political pressure, which I am already upset with, and totally disagree with. At worst, they are taking a political stance which is even more upsetting. I don't know what would need to happen for me to reverse my decision. I'm very proud of what we have all accomplished in the past, but I can no longer in good conscience support this Foundation. It makes my heart hurt, but they have given me no choice.

I have always told you, my friends and family who have supported me through two walks, and two years of training, that you were in the journey with me. You inspired me, and kept me going. I made a promise to all of you that I we were in it together. That promise was what made this decision clear – I couldn’t ask for you to support a cause/foundation that I no longer trusted.

At this point, I'm not sure what I will do moving forward. My team, The Warming Hut Hotties, will be having a meeting in about a month for an open discussion. It is my hope that we will be able to move forward together and find another worthy cause to train, walk, and raise money for. If we’re unable to agree on a solution together, I am determined to find one on my own. There are plenty of great causes out there that need our support.

I thank you again for all of your support over the past two years. I hope that we’ll be able to find another deserving group/cause to support together soon.

With deep appreciation and gratitude,
-Trina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about CROP? Walk for the hungry. Church World Service is certainly a proven and trusted organization. Many communities also have walks for the homeless.

Anonymous said...

Breast Cancer Action, if you want to continue supporting BC research and education. They are not in bed with the pharmaceutical companies like Komen...

Thanks for this decision. I'm a third generation breast cancer patient- and I had stage 3 BC. I've mistrusted Komen for a long time, and this week certainly confirmed everything I thought to be true about them.