Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Everything is Beautiful at the Ballet..."



For some reason that I can't explain, neither Dick nor I had ever been to see a production at the San Francisco Ballet - until last night! I love ballet, so I really can't explain why we hadn't been before, but we sure made up for it last night!

My friend, Philip, works at the ballet, and he recently told me about their 2012 season. He highly recommended that we try to see "Program 2", which was premiering last night, Valentine's Day! As lucky would have it, I noticed last week on Facebook that the SF Ballet was offering 2 for 1 tickets for opening night, so we jumped on the opportunity and bought tickets.

Philip had specifically told me about one of his favorite pieces, Chroma, which was the first piece last night. It was AMAZING! One of the best live performances I've ever seen. I loved everything about it.

Here's an excerpt from their website:



Also part of last night's program was the world premiere of "Beaux" by Mark Morries and "Number Nine".

I enjoyed all of the pieces very much, but "Chroma" was the one that really stayed with me.

Program 2 will be performed through February 25th.

I'm hoping that this is just the start of us getting out to see more ballet performances!

Oh, one more thing: The War Memorial Opera House (where the Opera and Ballet perform) is in Civic Center, directly across the street from San Francisco City Hall. Last night, in honor of Valentine's Day, City Hall was lit in red! We walked out to the balcony last night to admire it. :)

2 comments:

!spike! said...

i was pretty.
i was happy.
at the ballet.

and if i were a human pretzel like those babies up there, i would also be in that awesome number.

3 of my favorite choreographers...

Philip said...

I knew you would love Chroma, I watched it 3 times and it took my breath away every time. If you can pull it off, I think you would enjoy Program 5, it includes Jerome Robbins' Glass Pieces, you will know the Philip Glass music VERY well! Or try something different and come check out our last full-length ballet of the season, Don Quixote, it's silly and fun, the dancing is really showy and we have very sparkly all new costumes and scenery this year!