Friday, February 17, 2012

The AIDS Quilt in the Castro

Last night, I had the emotional experience of viewing part of the AIDS Quilt, which is being shown in the Castro for a short time. (through Monday, February 20th)

I had seen portions of the Quilt before - in the late 90s - but this display was much larger than anything I had seen.

Here is a great article about the history of the AIDS quilt, and this exhibition from the Bay Area Reporter (B.A.R.): Castro AIDS quilt display elicits tears, gratitude

The most emotional moment for me was finding the name of a friend of mine on the large and beautiful quilt representing the San Francisco Gay Mens Choir. Al Nichols, you are missed, loved, and never forgotten. <3

I spent at least 30 minutes talking in depth with a volunteer named Joanie Juster. Joanie has been a volunteer with the quilt since 1988 - sewing quilts, stitching them together, and coordinated reading the names at this exhibition (and others). Joanie shared some moving stories with me that she has experienced over the past 24 years.

Although a very emotional and sad experience, I am so glad that I was able to see these parts of the quilt in this exhibit. I think it is so important to honor those who we have lost and to share this history with everyone.

(from the B.A.R. article:)
The main exhibit at 2278 Market Street, the location of the old Tower Records, will be open to the public free of charge from noon to 8 p.m. through Monday, February 20. (Donations are welcome.) Additional locations of the exhibition include Under One Roof (518A Castro Street); Catch Restaurant, where the quilt and Under One Roof were initially housed (2362 Market Street); Bank of America (501 Castro Street); and Body (450 Castro Street). Joanie Juster, who helped coordinate the reading of the names on Sunday, said that people are welcome to read names when they visit the main exhibit.









1 comment:

Philip said...

Hey there, just getting caught up on your blog. I found Al's name on the quilt too, and it made me miss him. How wonderful that SFGMC included him in their family, even though he never sang a note. I used to love watching him boss those guys around like he was back on drum corps tour.