Sunday, April 11, 2010

WGI in SF!


WGI Finals - streaming to you LIVE from Dayton, OH!

Some of you may know that I usually make an annual pilgrimage to Dayton, OH to attend the Winter Guard International Competition. I've been going since 1986 (watching since 1983) and up til last year, had only missed going twice.

I think it was three years ago that WGI started to offer a streaming-video options for a subscription fee, which allows you to watch the entire competition (yes, that's three days chock-ful of color guard) LIVE.

I watched finals live, by myself last year. (long story, but I wasn't really up for any crowds last year) I really enjoyed it, but I have to say, my experience this year was so much better!


Nikki, Chad, Philip and Mom

Yesterday afternoon, through evening, I had over a few of my dear local guard friends. Chad (who marched in Miller's Blackhawks and San Jose Raiders), Nikki (San Jose Raiders and taught at James Logan HS), Philip (Cavaliers, Generis, and WGI writer) my Mom (she's my Mom first and foremost, but she also used to judge in our local circuit) and Miguel (who was the brave soul of the group who had never actually seen color guard, but has many friends, including his boyfriend, David (Miller's Blackhawks) who have been through the winter guard and drum corps activities). Freddie (Emerald Marquis and Cadets) was supposed to come, but unfortunately for us, was a no-show.


Mom and Miguel
I'd like to point out that my Mom is wearing her/my WGI sweatshirt, circa 1989 for the occasion!


Watching Finals Live, from the comfort of my own house, surrounded by a bunch of friends of like-minds was just fantastic! We had so much fun! For once, we were able to watch a show and say things in our "out loud" voices that we would otherwise have to keep mum if we were actually there. :)

Some of our favorite quotes of the evening:

"Wonder if those dresses will become chain flags?"

"OMG! They're spinning Jesus!" (an image of Jesus was ON the flags)

But nothing could prepare of for the shocking results of the evening! We were little screaming at the TV in disbelief as they announced the placements and scores for the top 3 guards in IW. In all my years, I've never seen an upset like it!

Oh, and let's not forget to mention WGI's major flub-up: after announcing all of the scores and placements of all of the finalist, and while the top three groups were receiving their medals, the announcer announced that a mistake had been made. Apparently, they had mixed up the fourth and fifth placements, and asked the two groups to please switch their plaques. How tacky.

...oh, and lest we forget - the other flub-up of the night, when the announcer spoke too early during the middle of Pride's performance. Crazy.

Congrats goes out to all of the SW and IW finalist. I thought it was one of the strongest IW competitions ever. Special personal mention to some of the groups that my friends teach who had amazing performances: Pride (loved you!), Santa Clara Vanguard, Mayflower (my friend, Rob's guard from the UK!), Carmel, Logan, Arcadia and Little Elm (who won SA, where Mykail teaches).

A great and memorable WGI!

I definitely watched more color guard shows at home this year than I ever have when I actually went to Dayton. I have to say that the WGI Fan Network was such a fantastic option and a great way to partake in the excitement of the weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are u the same Trina that was in Santa Clara sparks color guard?

Trina said...

Yes, I am! Please let me know who you are. Did we march together? :)