Friday, April 02, 2010

The Walt Disney Family Museum



Today, I spent the afternoon at The Walt Disney Family Museum with my Mom and Dad. It was amazing!

(from the web)
The Walt Disney Family Museum, LLC is owned and operated by the Walt Disney Family Foundation, a non-profit organization established by Disney's heirs (including Diane Marie Disney, co-founder of the Museum). It is not formally associated with The Walt Disney Company, the media and entertainment enterprise. The museum was funded by the Walt Disney Family Foundation.

We were all utterly impressed with the museum. None of us were prepared for the size of it, or how long it took to go through. We figured two or three hours. We started around 1:15pm. I finished around 5:30 (my Mom finished about 30 minutes before me) and my poor Dad wasn't able to quite finish everything before he was told that the museum was closing.

If you are a fan of Walt Disney, or of any part of his amazing career - whether it be animation, the theme parks, etc., - I highly recommend coming to this museum. It was so interesting - you could tell that it was not done by the Walt Disney Company, but rather by the family. It was all very personal, and you could tell it was a labor of love.

Having been an animation geek and student for a long time, plus having worked at an animation gallery, I knew a good deal about Disney's career (especially about his role in the history of animation) but I learned so much today. His life and career were truly incredible, and he was so inspiring.

Understandably, no photos were allowed inside the museum, but we were allowed to take photos out in the lobby.

Here are a few that I took:


A wall of Oscars


The Special Oscars presented to Walt Disney by Shirley Temple in 1938


Some of the furniture from the Disney's apartment in Disneyland

After we left the museum, we came back home and had dinner with Chad at Nirvana!


Dad, Chad & Mom

What a fun day!

No comments: