Thursday, August 06, 2009

An afternoon with Lee

I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon with my old school friend, Lee, today.

Lee does volunteer work at the San Francisco Botanical Garden in Golden Gate Park. He became interested in plants and gardening a few years back, started volunteering at the garden, and is now a wealth of information on all things plant-related.

I've been much more interested in plants and gardens since we finished our backyard landscape project earlier this year. To be honest, before we did our backyard, I had zero interest in gardening, but the more I'm out working in our garden, I find that I'm much more interested than I ever thought I'd be. (much to my parent's amazement!)

Lee offered to take me on a guided tour of the Botanical Gardens, so I took him up on it today. We spent a couple of hours walking through, as Lee took the time to point out his favorites, and attempted to educate me a bit. Lee knows the scientific plant names of all of the plants, flowers, trees, etc.. I don't even know the common names for most of them. I just kept pointing to ones that I recognized, and would refer to them as "that one" or "those guys". :)

Lee keeps a very interesting garden-related blog. (http://back40feet.blogspot.com) He always camera with him everywhere, and has some really beautiful photos.

Here's a photo that I took of him - taking a photo!



After our walk around the garden, we headed over to 9th avenue. We strolled along, and peeked into some stores, until we settled upon having an early dinner at Plutos. (I love salads from Pluto's!)



Such a nice afternoon with a good friend. Thanks, Lee. I look forward to doing it again soon!

No comments: