Friday, August 01, 2008

Total Solar Eclipse

My parents are on vacation in China right now.

They are not there for the Olympics (which start in a week). Nope, they went to see the solar eclipse!

My parents have a couple of close friends who are part of a group of astronomers who plan their vacations around solar and lunar eclipses. My parents joined them several years ago for an eclipse in Australia!

They've been gone for almost two weeks now, but today is the actual day of the eclipse.
I just found this article on sfgate.com. Sounds like they had great conditions, and I assume a successful viewing!

My parent's trip started out in Beijing, where they had an all-day excursion to the Great Wall outside of Beijing. They were able to visit the Mutianyu section of the Wall, which apparently is less crowded than other sections that are more frequently visited by tourists.

Here's a great photo that my Mom and Dad sent to us last week.


Mom and Dad on the Great Wall

I think that's a great photo!

Tomorrow, they leave for Shanghai, and will spend a couple of days there before coming home on Tuesday.

It's been a nice surprise to my sister and me that my parents have had occasional access to the internet during their trip, and have been able to send us a few emails and photos. It seems they're even taking the time to read my blog when they can. :)

So, (assuming they see this) here's a big shout out to Mom and Dad! Have a good trip home! We miss you!

No comments: