Monday, March 03, 2008

A week without my MacDreamy

I brought my Mac to the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store yesterday. The "genius" tried everything that Dick and I had tried the day before: connecting it to an external monitor, removing the RAM, etc., He didn't have any luck either.

He told me that I was probably right in thinking it was the logic board. He said the quickest way for him to have it repaired was to send it out to their repair facility (rather than in-store - not sure why). He sent it out today, and hopes to get it back to the store by Friday or Saturday.

Poor MacDreamy.

I'm kind of surprising myself that I'm not more freaked-out about this than I am.

The truth is, it could be a lot worse! I'm very lucky in that:

I completed several projects in the last 4 weeks, and this week should be slower than last month. Good timing!

Dick and I have an extra PowerBook (there's a story in there somewhere). It's about 4 years old, but still works well. I was able to install my important apps to it, so I can continue working.

Here's the biggie: I was able to access my MacDreamy's hard drive via our network. This means that not only is my drive probably okay, but I was also able to copy all of my important files onto my temporary laptop so I still have access to all my work.

I do have my entire hard drive backed up on an external drive, in case the worst-case scenario happens. (knock wood)

I'm really counting my lucky stars here. This week could've been completely unproductive work-wise, and probably would've driven me bonkers.

I might invest in some extra RAM for this old PowerBook. It has 512MB. I think it has the capacity for 1GB, maybe 2GB. MacDreamy runs on 4GB, so I'm really noticing a speed issue here, but still - no complaints!

Here's hoping MacDreamy comes back at the end of the week, files intact, and good as new!

No comments: