Thursday, April 05, 2007

Cody's is closing :(

Cody's Books is closing their store in San Francisco.

That's too bad. I really liked that store.

This is the same local, independent bookstore where I went to a couple of really great book signings over the past couple of years.

I saw Jimmy Carter last January, and also (my favorite) Armistead Maupin in August. Both book signing events were pretty amazing. I felt so fortunate to have a chance to participate in them.

Unfortunately, it's really hard in this day and age to run a successful, competitive, yet independent bookstore. I admit that I've only bought books from this store a handful of times. The truth is, I don't buy books often, but even when I do, it's hard not to buy them at a discount on an online retailer.

I'm sorry to see Cody's go. I was so excited for it, as a local chain, when they moved into the San Francisco location just a couple of years ago.

Their store on Fourth Street in Berkeley will be their last remaining store. I'll make it a point to go there when they have any more great book signing events.

No comments: