Saturday, November 19, 2005

The Tale of the Cartoon Squash Baby

(Because absurd humor runs amuck here in His 'n Her Condos)

This may be one of my strangest stories ever.
But, you know what they say, "I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried!"

Our tale begins sometime early last week, when I had a seasonal craving for Butternut Squash Soup. (Mmmmm, Soup!) I went to the Grocery store, and bought a lovely butternut squash.

It's been unseasonably warm all week. Too warm for soup, so the little butternut squash has been sitting on the counter.

The other night, after dinner, I excused myself to the bathroom while Christopher and Dick were cleaning up in the kitchen. I swear, I was out of the room for less than 30 seconds.

When I stepped out, I walked into the kitchen and what did my eyes see:

Dick, cradling the butternut squash (like a baby) and mimicking baby cries!

Ummmmmmmmm, what did I miss?

Well, it turns out that the boys noticed the butternut squash laying there, and Christopher commented that it looked like a baby. That's when Dick picked it up, and started to cradle it.

But wait! It gets even better than that!

Next step: he drew a face on the Butternut Squash!

Yep, our little butternut squash has a face now: two eyes, and a mouth, complete with one front tooth!

I swear it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen! I laughed, and guffawed, and even snorted!

Dick has since affectionately named the Butternut Squash "Cartoon Squash Baby".

We introduced Pete and Richard to our Cartoon Squash Baby last night, and we even had our first photo shoot.

How am I ever going to cook this thing now?

No comments: