Wednesday, August 17, 2005

I'm such an old fogey

The only time I ever listen to the radio is in my car, so I kind of enjoy it.

I usually listen to KFOG 104.9FM. It's a nice blend of "classic rock" - 60s through today. It's a decent amount of variety, and I usually like what's playing. Plus, with my cool radio that came in my MINI, I'm able to see the name of the song, and the name of the artist!

My sister has recently turned me on to another local station: 95.7. They play 70s, 80s, through now. Their claim is that they will never play the same song twice in one day. I have to say that it's a fairly impressive claim. Although I don't listen to the radio much these days, I remember when I used to listen to the radio at work (at one of my old "job-jobs") and I would get so tired of hearing the same songs over and over again.

So the new station has been quite enjoyable so far.
Here's a sampling:

As I was driving home this morning, they played "Purple Rain" by Prince, followed by "Come Sail Away" by Styx.
Now seriously, when's the last time you heard either of those songs on the radio?
...and is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

Last week, they played "It's Raining Men" by The Weather Girls.
oh, Yeah, baby!

On the "I'm so old and unhip" note, while I was skimming around the pre-programmed radio stations in my car when I was leaving Costco today, I stopped at 105.3 - LIVE 105. (my primary station in the 1990s). They were playing a song by "Hot Hot Heat", which, by the way, the only reason I know of this band is because I keep up with my ultra-cool friend, Willo's on her blog. So I hear the name of the band, and I listen to the song thinking, "So, this what the hipsters are listening to these days..."

I'm such an old music fogey.

No comments: